Sulphur Springs Clinic is one the pioneers of utilizing CO2 laser for veterinary surgery. The clinic has been performing laser surgery since 1997. Veterinary laser surgery provides the same benefits to pets that human patients have enjoyed for over thirty years. Specific advantages to CO2 LASER surgery:
1. Decreasing pain sealing nerve endings as it cuts thereby reducing post-operative pain.
2. Decreasing bleeding by cauterizing many blood vessels as it cuts thereby reducing the need for post-operative bandaging.
3. Decreasing swelling by sealing lymphatic vessels thereby reducing the likelihood for swelling following procedures.
4. Allows for more precision in cutting. The laser ablation is so precise that it can selectively remove only a few cells at a time.
The CO2 laser vastly improves the declaw procedure. What was once considered by some as being painful is now cosmetic and comfortable for the cat.
The CO2 laser improves the capacity to perform many surgical procedures. In fact, some procedures that are difficult without laser can now be easily performed with the laser. CO2 laser procedures also have significantly better outcome when compared to traditional scalpel-based style surgical procedures. Examples of difficult procedures improved by laser are:
1. Soft palette reduction and other intra-oral procedures
2. Tumor vaporizations and resections both skin and deeper tissue tumors
3. Stenotic nares reductions
4. Eyelid procedures (entropion, ectropin, abnormal eyelash removal, etc.)